Today’s #reverbbroads prompt is: Share a recipe or meal that is a summertime favorite.
Summertime favorite, wintertime favorite, for richer or poorer favorite – I would more than likely die a cold, sad death without bread. All kinds, any kind, all shapes and sizes. I LOVES BREAD.
Because nothing says “summer” like your oven at 450°, I thought I would share my all-time favorite salad recipe. Although is it really a salad, when it’s got lovely hunks of delicious bread in it? Probably not. Whatevs. It’s fucking amazing.
- 6 cups old, stale Italian bread, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (add more garlic if you hate society)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 3/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 10 basil leaves, shredded (grow it, bitches. It ain’t hard.)
- 1/2 cup pitted and halved green olives (totally optional, or kalamata olives are good as well)
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella, cut into bite-size pieces (“fresh” meaning the milky watery kind, not “I JUST BOUGHT THIS BAG”)
Toast the old bread a little, either in a pan as if you were making croutons, or under the broiler. Not too much. Chop all the rest of that shiz up. Put it all in a giant bowl, mix it up, grab a fork and go. Cry a bit after you’ve eaten 1/2 of said bowl in one sitting. IT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND. You can’t help it.
Anyway, I usually make this at the beginning of summer, because it’s easy and colorful and I’m the only one that’s going to eat it anyway, so fuck off of my Bread Salad. I smell like garlic and onions. Sex is clearly imminent.